About meI am a professor at the Department of Electronics and Information Engineering, Huazhong University of Science and Technology (HUST). I received my Ph.D. in Communication and Information Engineering, HUST. My research interests focus on Computer Vision, Pattern Recognition, and Deep Learning. I lead the Visual Computing group, which is part of Media and Communication Lab (MC lab), HUST. Here are some ongoing projects:
- Shape Representation, 2D\3D Shape matching and Retrieval
- Scene Text Detection and Recognition: A brief survey, Slice (2014), Slice (2017)
- Object Detection and Image Classification, Contour Detection\Grouping
Call for participants: ICDAR2017 Competiton on Reading Chinese Scene Text in the Wild (RCTW-17)
- April., 2017: The invited talk "Oriented Scene Text Detection Revisited" at VALSE 2017, Xiamen. [PPT]
- Feb., 2017: Four papers accepted by CVPR 2017.
- Jan., 2017: I become an editorial board member of the journal "Pattern Recognition"
- Nov.,2016: Three papers accepted by AAAI 2017! Congratulations to Song, Minghui and Baoguang!
- June, 2016: Baoguang got the support from CSC for visiting Cornell University. Congratulations!
- March, 2016: We achieved the first place in Shrec2016 competition: Large-Scale 3D Shape Retrieval under the perturbed case.
Selected Recent Publications
NEW X. Bai, M. Yang, P. Lyu, Y. Xu. Integrating Scene Text and Visual Appearance for Fine-Grained Image Classification with Convolutional Neural Networks. arXiv: 1704.04613
NEW B. Shi, X. Bai, S. Belongie. Detecting Oriented Text in Natural Images by Linking Segments. IEEE CVPR, 2017.
NEW S. Bai, X. Bai, Q. Tian. Scalable Person Re-Identification on Supervised Smoothed Manifold. IEEE CVPR, 2017.
NEW B. Shi, X. Bai, C. Yao. An End-to-End Trainable Neural Network for Image-based Sequence Recognition and Its Application to Scene Text Recognition. IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, accepted. [code][music score recognition datasets]
NEW M. Liao, B. Shi, X. Bai, X. Wang, W. Liu. TextBoxes: A Fast Text Detector with a Single Deep Neural Network. The 31st AAAI Conference on Artificial Intelligence (AAAI), San Francisco, California, 2017. [code]
Z. Zhang, C. Zhang, W. Shen, C. Yao, W. Liu, X. Bai. Multi-oriented text detection with fully convolutional networks. The 29th IEEE Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition (CVPR), Las Vegas, 2016. [code]
S. Bai, X. Bai, Z. Zhou, Z. Zhang, Q. Tian, L.J.Latecki. GIFT: Towards scalable 3D shape retrieval. IEEE Trans. on Multimedia, accepted.
G. Xia, et al. AID: A Benchmark Dataset for Performance Evaluation of Aerial Scene Classification. IEEE Trans. on Geoscience Remote Sensing, accepted . [Project Page]
X. Wang, Y. Yan, P. Tang, X. Bai, W. Liu. Revisiting Multiple Instance Neural Networks. arXiv:1610.02501
P. Tang, X. Wang, B. Shi, X. Bai, W. Liu, Z. Tu. Deep FisherNet for Object Classification. arXiv:1608.00182 [pdf], 2016.
C. Yao, X. Bai, N. Sang, X. Zhou, S. Zhou, Z. Cao. Scene Text Detection Via Holistic, Multi-Channel Prediction. arXiv:1606.09002, 2016.
Y. Zhou, X. Bai, W. Liu, L.J. Latecki. Similarity Fusion for Visual Tracking, Int. Journal of Computer Vision (IJCV), 118 (3), 337-363, 2016.
X. Bai, C. Yao, W. Liu. Strokelets: A Learned Multi-Scale Mid-Level Representation for Scene Text Recognition. IEEE Transations on Image Proc., 25(6),2789-2802, 2016.[code][readme]
S. Bai, X. Bai. Sparse Contextual Activation for Efficient Visual Re-ranking, IEEE Trans. on Image Processing, 25(3): 1056-1069, 2016.[code]
Associate Editor of Pattern Recognition (2017-), Patten Recognition Letters (2016-), Frontier of Computer Science, Neurocomputing (2015-)
Guest Editor of journal special isssue: (1) Special Section on Deep Learning, Journal of Computer Science and Technology, 2017; (2) Multi-Instance Learning in Pattern Recognition and Vision, Pattern Recognition, 2017; (3) Deep Learning Applications in Computer Vision, Frontier of Computer Science, 2017; (4) Efficient Shape Representation, Matching, Ranking, and its Applications, Pattern Recognition Letters, 2016.
General Chair of the 6th Vision and Learning Seminar (VALSE'16), Wuhan.
Program Chair of the 1st IEEE SPS Signal and Data Science Forum (SIDAS'16), Wuhan.
Organizing Chair of the 1st Int. Workshop on Deep Learning for Pattern Recognition (DLPR'16), in conjunction with ICPR'16.
Organizaing Chair of Special Session on Visual Semantic Learning form Big Surveillance Data (VISA), WCCI/IJCNN'16.
TPC of CVPR(08-17), ICCV(09-17), ECCV(10-16), NIPS (15-16), AAAI (17), AISTAT(17), BMVC (16-17), etc;
Senior TPC of IJCAI 17.
Area Chair of ICIP 17.
Competition Chair of ICPR 18.
Reviewers of more than 40 int. journals including TPAMI, IJCV, TIP, Pattern Recognition, TNNLS, TMM, TCYB, TIE, TIST, TVCG, IVC, CVIU, PRL, SPL, IJDAR, IJPRAI, etc.
Awards and Honors
Most Cited Chinese Researchers, 2014-2016
Hongshan District Outstanding Youth, 2014
Excellent Young Scientist Foundation of NSFC 2012
New century excellent talent of Ministry of Education, 2012
National Excellent Doctoral Dissertation nomination, 2012
Hubei Province Outstanding Doctoral Thesis, 2011
Microsoft Fellowship 2007
StudentsBaoguang Shi Ph.D. student
- Song Bai Ph.D. student (National PhD Fellowship 2015)
- Xinwei He Ph.D. student
- Xiaolong Liu Ph.D. student
- Pengyuan Lv Master student
- Zhichao Zhou Master student
- Duoyou Zhou Master student
- Mingkun Yang Master student
- Minghui Liao Master student
- Jieru Mei Undergraduate student
- Bo Wang, (2010) Hubei Province Excellent Undergradute Graduation thesis, now at Stanford University.
- Tianyang Ma, (2010) Undergradute Student, HUST; Ph.D. Temple Univerisity; Now at Amazon Company.
- Wei Shen (2013), Ph.D. HUST, Tencent Fellowship, co-supervised with Prof. Hongyuan Wang, now a faculty member of Shanghai University
- Xinggang Wang (2014), Ph.D. HUST, Microsoft Fellowship 2012, National PhD Fellowship, co-supervised with Prof. Wenyu Liu, Ass. Prof. of HUST
- Yu Zhou (2014), Ph.D. HUST, co-supervised with Prof. Wenyu Liu, now a faculty member of Beijing University of Post and Telecommunications
- Junwei Wang, Ph.D (2012), HUST co-supervised with Prof. Wenyu Liu, now at 709 Institute, Wuhan
- Chunyuan Li (2011), Undergradute Student, HUST; Now at Duke University
- Chen Shen (2013) , Master HUST, now at Temple University
- Cong Rao (2014) , Master HUST, National Master Fellowship, now at Temple University.
- Weichao Qiu (2014) , Master HUST, now at University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA)
- Yan Wang,(2011) Hubei Province Excellent Undergradute Graduation thesi, now at NTU
- Quanming Yao (2013), Hubei Province Excellent Undergradute Graduation thesis, now at HKUST
- Yueming Wang (2014), Master HUST, National Master Fellowship, now at Taobao Company, Hangzhou
- Yi Xiong (2014), Master HUST, now at Tencent Company, Shenzhen
- Changtao Wang (2013), Master HUST, worked in Baidu Company, Beijing
- Chao Cai (2013), Master HUST, now at Zhongyuan Electronic Information Corporation, Wuhan
- Le He (2015) Master HUST; now at Toutiao
- Tingwu Hou (2015) Master HUST; now at Huawei
- Xu Min (2014), Undergradute student, HUST; Now at Tsinghua University
- Yajun Gao (2011), Undergadute student, HUST; Georgio Insititute of Technology, Master. Now at Amazon
- Zhuotun Zhu (2015) Undergradute student, HUST, Young Microsoft Fellowship; Now at University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA)
- Zheng Zhang (2016), Master, HUST, National Master Fellowship 2015, Now at Microsoft, Suzhou.
- Chengquan Zhang (2016), Master, HUST, Now at Baidu, Shenzhen.
- Hongyang Wang (2016) Undergradute student, HUST. Now at Carnegie Mellon University (CMU)
- Pan Chen (2016) Ph.D., HUST, co-supervised with Prof. Wenyu Liu. Now a faculty member in Chinese University of Geosciences